Premium, high-quality dog food probably the best staple food you could possibly give to your blue-tongue skink.
If you are looking for an excellent dog food to use as a staple food for your blue-tongued skink, then I would recommend the following:
- Zignature Dog Food (click to see current price on Amazon) – This is by far my favorite brand of dog food. The reason is quite simple, because of the ingredients it contains. It has also (as far as I know) never had a recall.
- Blue Buffalo Dog Food (click to see current price on Amazon) – I don’t personally use this brand, however Blue Buffalo Dog Food is one of the most popular dog food brands for blue-tongue skink owners. It’s also a little bit cheaper than Zignature.
If you aren’t quite sold on why blue-tongue skinks should eat dog food, I would implore you to read my quick article found here.
The gist of the article is this.
Blue-tongue skinks are known as “generalists”, in that they will basically eat whatever is available to them in the wild.
This is a necessity as they aren’t exactly the greatest of hunters. They are slow, lack sharp teeth, claws and other attacking mechanisms and are terrible climbers.
Dog food, which is created specifically to replicate the type of diet a wild dog would eat in the wild, contains things like:
- vegetable and fruit matter
- whole meat products (things like the bones, which are good for calcium, connective tissues, organs and all the rest of that good stuff)
This makes it perfect for blue-tongue skinks as well, as typically a wild bluey’s diet consists of:
- dead or decaying animals
- rotten plant and vegetable matter
- worms and slow-moving insects
- fallen flowers or flowers and plants near the ground
My personal recommendation for the overall best canned dog food for skinks is…
The Best Dog Food for Blue-Tongue Skinks
Zignature is my go-to brand for 2 reasons:
- it’s high-quality and reliable
- the ingredients it contains
Unfortunately, a lot of dog foods end up in recalls due to poor manufacturing practices and unsanitary conditions. The FDA has a link that contains a table of the most recent dog food recalls that I like to check every now and often, and it’s quite startling.
Salmonella contamination is quite frequent, as are a whole host of other problems.
As far as I know, Zignature has never had a food recall.
Thus, you can rest assured that your bluey is getting healthy, high-quality food.
The second reason why I would recommend this brand above all the others are the ingredients.
Here’s a quick list of what the multi-protein formula contains:
- turkey and turkey liver
- lamb meal (this means lamb bone, connective tissue, organs and all that good stuff, perfect!)
- cranberries and blueberries
- calcium (critical)
- niacin (this is a natural amino acid that is critical for the animal’s health, it’s also not commonly found in other dog foods)
The multi-protein formula is my personal favorite, as it contains turkey, salmon, lamb and duck meat, but Zignature also offers a few other formulas:
The only downside to the Zignature brand is the price. A dozen cans from Zignature will run you almost double of what Purina will.
However, being that a dozen cans will last you quite a bit of time (a few months) as when it comes to feeding time, you only should feed them a portion of dog food a little bit bigger than the size of their own head.
The second brand I would recommend, that is slightly less expensive as Zignature but nearly as good, is anything from Blue Buffalo.
Now, a caveat here. I haven’t personally tested this brand with my own skink, this is just based a lot of other peoples’ (both in the real and online worlds) experience.
Looking at the ingredient list from Blue Buffalo’s Turkey and Potato formula:
- pea protein
- niacin (excellent)
- calcium supplement
- cranberries and blueberries
As well as a lot of other stuff. Personally, I love the “meal” that comes with the Zignature brands, but I don’t think you could go wrong with Blue Buffalo, as it is highly recommended among BTS enthusiasts.
More importantly perhaps, I don’t know of any recent recalls with Blue Buffalo.
Overall, I believe that you really can’t go wrong with either of these two brands. Both are really high-quality, will last a while and skinks seem to absolutely love them.